marzo 29, 2006

Come on everybody to the nth degree*

When I was little my mom and I would engage in epic battle over food. Specifically vegetables since I've always had a sweet tooth and a deep unshakable hatred for anything green that comes from the ground. So she would tell me that I wouldn't be able to leave the table unless I ate all my vegetables. So I would sleep at the table, because my stubbornness knows no bounds. This went on for at least a week, until my daddy (in all his awesomeness) finally got my mom to back down. There might have been some sort of negotiation or maybe my mom just started coating all vegetables that came my way in butter, but either way the war ended and we went on to engage in other epic battles that had nothing to do with vegetables (and pretty much everything to do with my stubbornness).

Now that I do all my own cooking I pretty much get around this by only cooking vegetables that I enjoy (peas, carrots, mushrooms, corn, and spinach) and only cooking one vegetable I detest (asparagus) because Andy likes it and he's pretty swell. Plus he never makes me eat them, so it works out. That's kind of the thing with me. Its pretty much impossible to get me to eat or do anything I don't want to do. Which is a bit of a problem since my mommy isn't around to force me to eat my veggies, although my insane metabolism pretty much ensures that isn't a problem (for another 5 to 10yrs). What is becoming a problem is my inability to do things I know I have to do but I really hate doing ie. my resume which I am currently avoiding by writing this post. I know it has to be worked on to perfection except actually working on it is like trying to force raw broccoli down my throat-- its not going to happen with out at least someone losing an eye and possibly a spleen.

My solution to this is to follow my father's winning strategy for getting me to do anything I have zero interest in doing, bribery. Now you're wondering how one goes about bribing oneself without creating some weird existential crisis, but its actually really simple. I do whatever I hate in between something I like. So I'll eat a big bag of m&ms while working on the resume (although I'm trying to not use food as a reward since years of Oprah have taught me that's how people become obese) or work on the resume during the commercials for Veronica Mars. Its all win win. The bratty part of me wins. The responsible part of me stops feeling like a loser. For at least a little bit.

I'm not even going to lie though, the 80% of the time is just spent trying to come up with a way to get me to do whatever I don't want to do. Most people call this procrastination, and I'd like to share it with you by passing along these links:

* Facebook is the devil. It always without fail sucks me in and I lose hours (no joke) stalking people I never cared enough about to ever talk to in college, but who have awesome pictures of them drunk and making out with everyone on campus. I've said too much. Here are some ways you too can waste even more time on facebook. And this one is also cool.

* A cool ad involving Amish people. Drag racing. Need I say more?

* Top ten desktop diversions from Business Week. Via my favorite gossip site pinkisthenewblog.

* When poking around the internets for men style stuff for my bro I came across this and thought I'd share. Cause I'm nice like that.

* I always remember every detail of arguments with Andy thus rendering him incapable of launching an effective defense. Over the years though he's developed a pretty good shield against my freakish memory and that is to say it never happened. Although I know it did happen, because I remember every detail (to be honest though I would sometimes say he said stuff that I knew he didn't say because he didn't remember anyways so what does it matter?-- Sorry hun! I play to win). Anyways apparently I'm not the only one with freakish memory and scientist are baffled.

* The top 15 skylines in the world.

* Oh and because consuming only sugar will rot your brain here's an article to make it think, "Why all the turmoil in France?"

*Ah and the title comes from Morning wood's Nth Degree which reminds me of summer and if caught deep inside my head. Plus it doesn't hurt that the lead singer is totally cute.

No hay comentarios.: