junio 09, 2006

el numero ocho

Okay so I'm sorry but I'm going to have to inflict this on you. I know you don't like Paris Hilton anymore than I do, and that out of sheer curiosity you listened to her song the other day, and that watching the video is something you don't really want to do. But you must. Because its so tragically funny that you need to watch it.

I must warm you though that the more you listen to her song the further into your brain it goes, until you find yourself losing perspective and not hating it. I know its shameful to admit, but someone must be brave and shed all of their pride and just say it. So I'll say it. I don't hate her song.

man I feel dirty.

But the thing is I think this is really not a reflection of me but a reflection of how bad pop music is these days. Given the choice between Ashlee Simpson and her new nose and Paris Hilton, well that's not really much of a choice is it? I'm going to argue that the lesser evil is Paris Hilton, because this isn't her "career" not really. Unlike Ashlee Simpson who really thinks she can sing, Paris knows what she's good at. Which is nothing. Which is why she spends so much money to make herself sound good. And she spends "her own" money on it, which is better than wasting someone else's money on making you sound good.

The video though. The video is tragic. She's trying so hard to be sexy. So hard to seduce and it just doesn't work. Which is particularly sad because she's devoted her life to going out and dancing and to watch her dance in the video I feel sad for her and her lack of dancing ability. Calling what she does in the video "dancing" is a stretch. Although I once watched a contemporary dance production where the dancing consisted of 5 women walking from one side of the stage to the other. So maybe this is avant garde and I just don't get it.

So yea. good times.

links!:

* World cup started today! For those of you that don't know even the most basic rules there's this. Plus beefy pictures of soccer stars. Always a plus.

* In praise of boxer briefs. I once knew a man who went commando and it was the most disturbing thing. Same goes for briefs. When it comes to male underwear there's really just one sane choice.

* This game is at once addicting and disturbing. Plus there are kittens and you can never have too many kittens in your life. Thanks to lasu for bringing it into my life.

* A nice essay on basic digital photography. via lifehacker

* Also from lifehacker, comes cooking for engineers, a cooking guide for those with impossibly analytical minds. andy I'm looking at you.

* How to stay in good shape while partying like a rockstar.

* Cool interview with William H. Macy.

* This little clip once again shows why I <3 Jon Stewart so.

* I love knowing odd stuff about people. Like what they carry in their bags. What they have in their fridge. Or their car. Or in their wallets. Some people describe this as being nosy. I like to think of this as just being insatiably curious. Which is a good thing.

* The cervical cancer vaccine has been approved. Which is good news, but now comes the real battle when the committee determines who will have access to the vaccine. via feministing which provides some great analysis of why its not time to celebrate just yet.

No hay comentarios.: