octubre 25, 2003

Manifestos

After writing a really long response to something Deb said on her blog, I realized something that I've known for a while now. There are certain things that I am passionate about and other things that are just a waste of my time. I want to get my PhD in economics and change the world for the better because life is so short and there is so much out there that needs to be done, but the thing is we all get so wrapped up in our own lives and in stupid petty material shit ("I want this, I need this") that all we see is ourselves and what we don't have and what we wished we had because if we only had that thing then maybe we would finally be content. But there's no such thing. I wouldn't be satisfied with a pair of Manolos, I'd want more. In the same way that I find it very hard to be satisfied within a relationship because there's always something that isn't quite right. When in reality if we all just stopped and looked at all the things that are right and just stopped focusing on ourselves we would realize just how lucky all of us are. And just how powerful we are. But somehow between the ages of 5 (when you think there's nothing that you cannot do) and 20 we lose that and become riddled with insecurities. Am I smart enough to do this? Am I pretty enough? Am I strong enough? and we become paralyzed and begin to live in our own small bubbles.

well I don't have that much time left but I'm going to make as much change as one person can do in a lifetime. I've already wasted 20yrs, I'm not wasting anymore. Besides which I do not live in Cuba so I have the freedom to speak my mind freely.

i've decided to do a special major somehow blending economics and women's studies because I dont have time to waste learning idiotic neoclassical economic bullshit. it doesnt apply to the real world where people work all day like machines and then wake up 20yrs later and wonder what happened to their families and their children that have grown up without them.

the more i learn the angrier that i get and if you're not learning things that are making you angry then consider this your wake up call. you are wasting your education. you are wasting an opportunity. do not wake up 20yrs from now and wonder why your wife left you and where all your dreams went. This is your chance to change your life. Do not let it pass you by.

No hay comentarios.: