febrero 26, 2004

What the?

okay I think the world has started to go crazy...Well crazier than it normally is. Clear Channel is pulling Howard Stern off the air and for indecency. Ok, now I'm not a fan of Stern, I personally think that he is rarely actually funny/shocking and typically just obnoxious/stupid, but the thing is no one should be deciding what is decent and indecent for people to watch. Stern has a huge audience, so there are people who share his mindset, or enjoy him enough to watch his show. I just think its frightening that it seems like civil rights/freedoms are being trampled on left and right but not many are saying anything about it.

which brings me to my next rant. I just finished reading this marvelous book about the Brown v. Board of Education decision, and I learned a bunch of stuff. For example, did you know that one of the first cases that the NAACP brought forth was on the segregation of Mexican American children in California schools? I didn't realize that other people of color, were also segregated. well except for the Japanese who got placed into camps for no reason what so ever in other to "protect" the American people. So I finished this book, and since I like to relate things in the past with what is going on in the present I thought of the current legal struggle with gay marriage. I was watching the news yesterday and there was a statement from Sen. McCain, republican, who said that he disagreed with amendment to the constitution making gay marriages illegal. While I agree with him what struck me was his next statement that "the American people are not ready yet for a legalization of gay marriage." At one point the American people weren't ready to end slavery or segregation, so what kind of logic is that? The courts are in place to say what is legal and what is not, not to just follow whatever the public is ready for. So go San Francisco and taking a bold step and allowing gay marriage. We'll look back on this fifty years from now and think how silly we all were to resist.

No hay comentarios.: