mayo 23, 2006

My daddy, the feminist

Last night I added yet another reason to my gigantic list of why I love my daddy so much. We were test driving a car (my moms car committed suicide and we had to replace it asap) and impossibly horribly painfully bored. None of us know anything about cars, so its a pretty silly exercise to take a drive around in one to see how it drives. We were looking out the window and there was a mechanic school or something out the window and my daddy pointed at it and smiled at me. And I was like what? And he told me that when I was little he used to tell people that I was going to grow up to be a race car driver. Then he corrected himself and said "no a race car engineer, there the ones that actually win the races." Which made me smile to think of my daddy telling people that his tiny little curly haired girl was going to grow up to be a race car engineer. It actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. And who knows if the whole writing thing or helping people thing doesn't work out it may just be worth checking it out.

* Speaking of feminism, the word "feminism" and being a "feminist" have a lot of very negative associations with it. When I meet people and I tell them that I'm very liberal and went to a women's college there's always that moment and look of fright when they ask me if I'm a "feminist." Always in a hushed tone like if they're asking me if I like to fuck dead people or kick puppies. Mostly when I'm meeting strangers I'm drinking, since I hate strangers and I'm just not in the mood to put them in their place. So I normally offer a lame retort to assure them that this doesn't mean that I'm some kind of man-hater, but that's just acting like there is some truth to this stereotype. When there really isn't. And besides which I do hate men sometimes, but its never all men its always just one particular asshole who is pissing me off at the moment. I hate women too. More of the time actually, since I'm much more offended by female stupidity than male stupidity. The point is sometimes feminist hate people, but that isn't because they are feminist (well except for Mr. 29% I'm pretty sure my feminism is a huge reason why I hate him) its because they're human. And human beings hate people sometimes. Anyways this article from Salon discusses why young women in particular dislike the term and if the word doesn't need to be replaced. I don't think it does, but then again I have no problem scaring off men in bars. Here's a little excerpt:

Gandy said that membership in her organization [National Organization for Women] is bigger than ever. "Eighty percent of people in the United States, based on what they think now about pay equity and domestic violence, would have been considered total feminists had they felt that way 30 years ago. And the women's rights movement is living in our daughters every single day. Whether or not they consider themselves feminists."


* You have got to be kidding me! Botox being use to treat depression?

* You must must must watch this commercial. Via my bro who reads the entire internet while your busy sleeping. Silly mortals.

* Do you ever feel like your cigarette smoke is bothering your pigs? If so this is for you. via apartmenttherapy

No hay comentarios.: