mayo 31, 2006

glacial motion

I have a love hate thing going on with my cell phone. For starters I never wanted a cell phone. I'm not one of those people who must have the newest cutest tiniest cell to flash around to their friends. A)Most of my friends don't really care about these things and B)Most of my friends care entirely too much about these things and there's no way I'd be able to pick something that would amaze them. More than that though it would be pointless. I drop my phone at least twice a day. Probably because I like to carry it in my hand next to my lip gloss and keys, just so that in the rare chance that I need to call 911 between the walk to the car and the house well I'm prepared. A la girl scout. So something impossible cute and tiny would die within a week of being in my possession.

I've only used my cell in an actual emergency once, like a week ago when my mom's car stalled and I had no clue what the hell I was supposed to do. For emotional emergencies though the cell phone is my life line. Creepy man tries to talk to me on the street? I'm on my phone immediately. Boy troubles making me nutty? I start calling my trifecta to see who picks up the phone first.

So that's the love part. The hate part is much more pronounced. I hate my phone. I hate calling people on the phone, it makes me uneasy. Probably because I'm a rambler with a touch of ADD so its hard for me to keep track of everything that comes into my brain and in what order I said it and then wait what was my point. I'm much better in print. Because I can delete things, and spell check, and google things. Over the phone I'm a mess. Which is why I don't call people. Well lets rephrase that, I call some key people obsessively to talk about every micro crisis, real and imagined. But that's only like 1% of my phone list. The other 99% I'd rather die or I don't know eat Taco Bell than actually call them on the phone. Unless its for directions then I'm ok.

Which is why texting is the best thing known to man. Because its just like iming someone but using your phone. There's none of that weird chit chat that I hate, or any of that "oh are you busy, can you talk" kind of bs. Whatever random thing popped into your head can be sent out and be answered by the other person at their own convenience. Like when they're stuck in traffic or stuck in some horrible awful comedy show and you need to talk to someone immediately about how much you just want to die right now. Texting allows for me to multitask in real life as much as I do online. Because online at any moment I have at least five tabs open, plus some minesweeper, video or music, and an aim conversation or two. In real life I have to focus on one thing, even when I'd much rather be doing something else. With texting though I can be the good daughter and have two hour dinners with my folks while still talking to someone else, without the rudeness of getting up and answering the phone.

The only thing is with a cell I always feel obligated to answer it, because if you dont there's a bit of the "umm I called you why didn't you answer" thing which I hate. Because I'm forgetful and like to leave my phone on silent and then leave it in the kitchen next to the peaches. Unlike email where sure you have to answer it right away but there's like a one day to two day window where you have the time to answer it without feeling like you have to apologize for your complete inability to stay on top of your email. So I hate my phone. Because my mom likes to call me and then I have to answer and sometimes I just don't want to answer. Which is the main reason I didn't have a cell for 5 years or so.

But now I do and I'm hooked and what are you going to do, not have a cell? Then what would you have to do when creepy men start trying to talk to you? Talk to them? I think not.

Ok and now the links:

* The world cup starts June 9th. In preparation I have begun reading a lot of soccer stuff so I can better appreciate the game and know whats up. If you want to also stay in the know there's this.
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly, the former Liverpool coach.
Oh those silly Brits they're not going to win this year. Although if they did, that would be something.

* I love tiny cars. Probably because I love tiny things that are jes sized, the way all things should be really. well most things should be tiny, not crucial things like steaks or tvs.

* This thing is so cool. You type in an author and whatever authors appear closest to it are other authors you would enjoy. The listing is just getting started so everyone isn't on there yet, but they have Grace Paley so its a good enough start. And perfect for me because whenever I go into a bookstore I always just end up having to flip through the first couple of pages of a book to see if its good or not.

* On the book kick there's this nifty slide show from Slate about classic novels done with pulp book covers.

* How to make your own ac unit. If you like to build things and have the space and design aesthetic to accommodate a garbage can in the middle of your home. I'm looking at you Jose.

* A nifty little ad.

* Wtf? Here's the thing, I know butts are all the rage right now but umm seriously? This thing doesnt look like fun. And plus the let down when your clothes come off, would be intense.

* A very nice article from Slate arguing for the ethical reasons why meat should be made in the lab and not slaughtered. As an fanatic meat eater and a tree hugging liberal I sometimes have a hard time justifying my love of meat. I typically just eat some bacon though and just shrug it off though.

* An article from the nytimes about the importance of net neutrality.

* Yet another reason to hate Bush. Followed by an even bigger reason to hate Bush.

* Over the weekend in Colombia President Alvaro Uribe won re-election in a landslide. I dont follow Colombian politics very closely, because its really depressing. But my general feeling about this news goes like this, any friend of Bush is no friend of mine. But at the same time anything that brings even the semblance of peace and order to Colombia is desperately needed. So I'll wait and see how this all plays out.

* Finally, the other day I watched this on PBS. Being a documentary on sex slavery it was impossibly sad. Especially the story of a man trying to get his pregnant wife released from these people. If you get a chance to watch it do, and if not the directors commentary on it is a must read.

2 comentarios:

Lasu dijo...

I think you're just severly antisocial, what with not wanting to ever make smalltalk, etc.

P.S. I know a few girls who would totally get laid if they had that ass wonder bra lingerie setup. :o

jes dijo...

Yea I'm totally antisocial. If smalltalk was interesting I wouldnt mind having it.

and I know your not referring to me with that ass wonderbra comment.