mayo 22, 2006

when mohos attack

I'm so impossibly excited for my birthday you have no idea. I had a really good birthday last year. So there's built in excitement of it being my birthday and celebrating making it another year. But to make this birthday even more exciting my friends are coming to visit me! So its going to be a mini moho reunion! I've been trying to get my friends to come to Texas, because I think Texas is a magical place that needs to be shared with people and since my birthday is on a Saturday its perfect for people to fly in and hang out and then go back to their responsible young adult lifestyle. Plus I am in some desperate need for some estrogen in my life. Not that men aren't lovely creatures in all, but some times you just want to have a pillow fight in your pjs, you know what I mean?

Soooo looking forward to July you have no idea. I've already started thinking of all the places I have to take them and how impossibly sloashed we're going to get! yay!

Ok here are the links to keep your case of the Mondays down to a minimum:

* Having run out of more serious things to report on the NY Times brings in this breaking style news of black toilet paper.

* Wow. If I had a dog I don't think I'd ever leave him with this woman. But I don't know maybe she's a lovely human being? She must be.

* Is Tyra Banks racist? Slate tries to figure it out.

* A long but interesting interview with Clotaire Rapaille about his new book "The Culture Code" which compares the core codes or stereotypes of different cultures. He says some pretty interesting stuff in the article. Here's a little bit:

What do you think about the rise of Christian fundamentalism?

Religion in America is Disney World. We're not really serious about it the way the Muslims are. We just want some rituals, we have so many different brands of religion. We like the stories about it and talking about what they say and don't say. It's little stories for children. When in Kansas they try to stop the teaching of evolution, it's like at Disney World. If you are in the Mickey Mouse costume, the rule is that you never take off your mask. You're not supposed to show in public that there is a real guy under the mask. That's religion in America; let the people keep their illusions. Don't show the reality.

Now, because we are adolescent, we like to take things to extremes: extreme sports, extreme everything. Moderation is boring -- eating in moderation? No way. So we apply that to religion, too, religious extremism.


* If you feel like using your brain there's always this, an interesting and thought provoking article about immigration from the San Francisco Chronicle.

* A collection of drawings done by an artist while he was on lcd.

* This video is so zen. I'm afraid though if I tell you what it is though you wont watch it, but you have to watch it, because you'll watch it and be sucked into it. Its almost hypnotic. So yea go watch it. Its short. Its zen. Its funny.

* Well this video is frightening. Its a sex ed video from planned parenthood. Its a cartoon. There are talking genitalia acting as hosts for a talk show. Its so frightening, so funny, and yet I learned something. So you should watch it, just not around people you don't want them to think your weird for watching a cartoon with a talking penis in a suit. via feministing.

No hay comentarios.: